What's missing are the methods for relating the patterns (including reachability - can
you get there from here).  It's fideistic to assert monism without giving some
hypothetical method by which to resolve even 2 (much less billions) into 1.
Consciousness seems to me to be at least a 2nd order effect of experience, i.e. the
ability to relate a prior experience to a present experience.  There are other higher
order effects, too, over and above moment-to-moment continuity of an individual identity
... e.g. across individuals (see someone else grimace in disgust and you experience an
empathetic sense of disgust) and across "what-if" scenarios (the ability to
expect/anticipate what you might experience in counterfactual circumstances).

By saying an experience is nothing but brain activity, one is also saying that relations
(e.g. continuity) between experiences is also brain activity.  But transitions between
experiences, while still experiences, are of a different kind.  So even if (or especially
if?) you're a monist, it's naive and wholly inadequate to flatten everything out and just
call it all "experience" ... that would be tantamount to claiming hearing the
roar of a lion is the same as taking a bubble bath. Pfft.