Whew! I'm a huge fan of Feyerabend. For a minute I was afraid you were allowing
wackos like this guy:

  http://youtu.be/8XjR9f0DZJc

I tend to think the way out of the trap is through citizen science (eg DIYBio
and our own friends at GUTS). To some extent anything in big science must be
gov funded. Even if you don't call it "government", it's still pooled resources
with minority management, which implies a government of some sort. And anytime
a minority make judgments for the majority, we'll hear cries of bias and for
"separation". The real measure of progress is watching how scientific
experiments that used to be only doable by big science are now doable by
citizens in their garage.  As long as that happens, we have to admit there's an
important role for government funded science.  If we don't get our own high
energy colliders we can run on saw horses in our garage, _then_ we'll push for
a Constitutional amendment.

Anyway, arguments like this are why so many scientists think little of Horgan.
His arguments are rife with over simplification. Yahoos like Mike Adams
<http://www.naturalnews.com/About.html> use similar rhetoric, which is
unfortunate for relatively authentic people like Horgan.

--
⛧ glen