There is a large group of distinguished people including Elon Musk, Stephen
Hawking, Bill Joy and Martin Rees, who believe that AI is an existential threat
and the probability of the human race surviving another 100 years is less than
50/50.  Stephen Hawking has said he has no idea what to do about. Bill Joy’s
(non) solution is better ethical education for workers in the area. I can’t see
how open source will prevent the dangers they worry about. Martin Rees has an
Institute at Cambridge that worries about these things.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)                     an...@cs.unm.edu
<mailto:an...@cs.unm.edu>