Heh, I'd forgotten about Golgafrincham.  It's funny because it's true!

The problem lies with the permeable and dynamic boundaries of all these things.  And
"symbiont" captures the fuzziness of the boundaries quite well.  As we've argued till
we're blue, _general_ intelligence may well be illusory.  It's possible (if not likely) that the
only general intelligence we can build will be just as symbiotic with the milieu as we are.  Maybe
the AI won't rely directly on gut microbes.  Maybe it will rely on some other huge population of
nanomachines that requires an entire earth to maintain ... perhaps the robot overlords will need
promechanic pills to keep their gut nanomachines in healthy proportions.  I have no idea, which is
why I called it "faith" and hand-waved toward the inadequate closures of our current
machines.

Yes, I used "wonky" in order to prevent my email text from ballooning out of control.
But "pathology" has (almost) a worse type of ambiguity to it because it implies an
assumed state of health or normality that wonky doesn't imply.  It's fine to adapt to wonky things
if one is adaptable enough, like learning to ride a backwards brain bicycle
http://www.instructables.com/id/Reverse-steering-bike/.  Pathology is almost universally considered
bad.)