>From Tom Wilkinson on Facebook.  I assume he's English:

There are a few camps here.
The first is those that voted "Leave" as a protest against the current
government. They thought there was no way that Leave would win (evident
they didn't read the same opinion polls I did), and immediately regretted
their actions.

Second are the people who voted on the basis of personality. A major
campaigner on the Leave side, Nigel Farage, projects himself as a man of
the people (he's rarely seen in publicity photos without a pint of beer in
one hand and a cigarette in the other). They didn't really grasp what it
was they were voting for and now they've seen the numbers and seen how the
rest of the world has reacted, have come to their senses. Boris Johnson,
the other major Leave personality is well known too for being a bit of a
breath of fresh air (He's the former Mayor of London, and could be
described as "Colourful" - again, a different kind of politician)

The third group (and the only one I have any sympathy with) are the people
who genuinely thought Leave was the right thing to do after weighing up the
options, and who have now seen a huge upsurge in racist incidents/ violence
from the extreme racist right wing who took the leave vote as an
endorsement of their extreme views.