On 06/27/2016 03:09 PM, Steven A Smith wrote:
> While I am observing said hoopla with my usual "morbid fascination",  I am
> truly disturbed by the possibility that we ARE degenerating to a Mobocracy or
> more technically, an /Ochlocracy/.   I like Wikipedia's definition of the
> term as: /"Democracy spoiled by Demagoguery/".

Relevant "diablog":

  Too Democratic? Let's See What Plato Says...
  http://bigthink.com/errors-we-live-by/too-democratic-lets-see-what-plato-says

"6. RNG: They have, but facing that danger in democracy is different from
claiming that the natural path of democracy is towards tyranny. Context is
paramount. Plato makes these claims during a real downer of a discussion, a
plunge into political fatalism made all the more depressing by Plato’s having
just laid out a blueprint for his ideal state—The Republic—an aristocracy in
its original sense, namely rule by the best, the most virtuous citizens (from
arête), who, schooled in philosophy, are single-mindedly devoted to the common
good. In Plato’s eyes, they alone qualify as elites, and alone can be trusted
with power (precisely because they don’t want it. That’s what an education in
philosophy is supposed to do to you)."

--
☢ glen