Nick,

I assume you use a Windows system ? On a Mac you can look at the System Monitor to get information which seems to be what you are looking for. Perhaps others here can suggest a similar program on a Windows system.

Joe

On 7/31/16 11:34 PM, Nick Thompson wrote:

Hi, Sarbajit,

Thanks for the tip. I studied on it for a bit and think it isn’t designed to do what I most need to have done. It would tell me if my problem is, say, HP updates, or Firefox websites. But, unless I am wrong, it won’t tell me which of the websites I am contacting is doing the dirty. For instance, I spend a lot of time looking at animated radar displays? They are only ten frames long, and don’t seem very “verbose”, how can I tell for sure.. Perhaps by logging my activities by hand and then using the time logging feature of Neworx I might figure it out. Ideally, the program I am looking for would give me the amount of data used up for each website contacted. Given the rarity of the problem, the software probably doesn’t exist.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I will explore it more closely tomorrow.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University

http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/ <http://home.earthlink.net/%7Enickthompson/naturaldesigns/>

*From:*Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] *On Behalf Of *Sarbajit Roy
*Sent:* Sunday, July 31, 2016 10:35 PM
*To:* The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
*Subject:* Re: [FRIAM] Monitoring Data Usage

Try Networx
https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/manual/

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Nick Thompson <nickthomp...@earthlink.net <mailto:nickthomp...@earthlink.net>> wrote:

    Hi,

    You will recall that when I am in Massachusetts, I get all of my
    internet over a Verizon hotspot.  It a bit like eating lunch with
    a shark.  Every once in while you find out that you’re missing
    part of your arm.  So, I have been looking around on the web for
    an app which will tell me which one of my activities … podcasts,
    websites, upgrades, updates, etc. … is using up data.   Now, I
    figure, being pros, most of you, you all live in places that have
    unmetered broad band.  So I don’t expect many of you to share my
    problem.  But perhaps one of you has?  There are several apps that
    seem perhaps to be relevant.  One is “Glasswire”.  Is anybody
    familiar with it?

    I hope you are all summering well.

    Nick

    Nicholas S. Thompson