Nick,

You inquired about the relative populations of states in 1824.  Actually,
Ohio's population was larger than any New England State including
Massachusetts.  Collectively, New England's six states controlled 51
electoral votes or 19 percent of the national total of 261.  Adams only had
to round up those six and seven more loyal to Clay including Kentucky,
Ohio, Missouri and Louisiana to defeat Jackson when the House voted.

The other monkey wrench in the proceedings was the candidacy of William
Crawford of Georgia.  Even though he suffered a paralytic stroke in 1823,
he racked up more popular votes than Clay and retained the support of four
state delegations when the vote went to the House in early 1825.  Thus
Crawford's support basically kept his electoral and state votes off the
table for either Jackson or Adams.

Four popular candidates, each representing a different region of the
country made for a very contentious ending to the "Era of Good Feelings"
during which there was almost no opposition to electing and re-electing
James Monroe as the Democratic-Republican heir to the Jefferson-Madison
dynasty.

Jackson and his remarkably able campaign chairman, Martin Van Buren,
organized the first truly national party, held the first national party
convention in 1828, and ensured that this sort of foolishness would not
recur.

Fun, fun, fun!