I first learned Unix when I went to work at Bell Labs in 1978.  I was only
there for two years but over the next 18 years at Carnegie Mellon I used
Unix workstations or time-sharing systems almost constantly. The other
night I had a dream that involved Unix.  I am not saying the dream made
sense.  Dreams often don't.  For some reason I had a feeling that someone
had modified my system by replacing the cat command with a shell script
that didn't behave the way cat should.  I decided to use the which command
to find where the fake cat script was located in the file system.  But then
I thought how can I examine the script without using cat.  I was going
around in circles about this until I sort of woke up.  I realized that I
could use ed to look at the script.  Then I went back to sleep.  Sometimes
my memories of my dreams aren't accurate.

Frank

Frank Wimberly
Santa Fe, NM