Nick,
one of the computer scientists can answer more definitively, but your
use of argument in the passage is inconsistent with the everyday
programming usage. Good programs are modularized with specific
computational abilities isolated within discrete modules. Frequently,
one part of the program requires that computation in another module be
performed before I can proceed with my own work. So I must sent a
message (execute a function call) to that other module: e.g.
**heyYouDoThis**. Sometimes I possess information that the receiver of
my message (function call) does not, but does need before it can do its
thing. In that case I send the request and include the additional
information as "argument(s). e.g. **heyYouDoThis (usingX, usingY).**

"Arguments in this sense have nothing to do with the structure of the
expression itself.

It might sound redundant, but I think you should simply use 'Term', e.g.
[Term1][relation][Term2][Relation2]Term3] and replace the word 'term' in
the prose with 'part' or 'element', i.e. segment or piece.

davew