Ack! Well... I guess now we're in the muck of what the heck probability and
statistics are for mathematicians vs. scientists. Of note, my understanding
is that statistics was a field for at least a few decades before it was
specified in a formal enough way to be invited into the hallows of
mathematics departments, and that it is still frequently viewed with
suspicion there.

Glen states: *We talk of "selecting" or "choosing" subsets or elements from
larger sets.  But such "selection" isn't an action in time.  Such
"selection" is an already extant property of that organization of sets.*

I find such talk quite baffling. When I talk about selecting or choosing or
assigning, I am talking about an action in time. Often I'm talking about an
action that I personally performed. "You are in condition A. You are in
condition B. You are in condition A." etc. Maybe I flip a coin when you
walk into my lab room, maybe I pre-generated some random numbers, maybe I
look at the second hand of my watch as soon as you walk in, maybe I write
down a number "arbitrarily", etc. At any rate, you are not in a condition
before I put you in one, and whatever it is I want to measure about you
hasn't happened yet.

I fully admit that we can model the system without reference to time, if we
want to. Such efforts might yield keen insights. If Glen had said that we
can usefully model what we are interested in as an organized set with
such-and-such properties, and time no where to be found, that might seem
pretty reasonable. But that would be a formal model produced for specific
purposes, not the actual phenomenon of interest. Everything interesting
that we want to describe as "probable" and all the conclusions we want to
come to "statistically" are, for the lab scientist, time dependent
phenomena. (I assert.)

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps