Glen writes:

" But what I didn't get from his talk (yet it's mirrored in Marcus' post about
open source communities) is the tight coupling that's needed."

I intended to make a different point than what I think you may have concluded.
To certain technologists, there is the view that our culture is made up of
rule-based parts that act much like software.  They are not personal (in your
terminology), they are abstractions that take on a significance of their own.
If one can get voters to embrace a set of slogans, or go to a building on
Sunday to hold their head down periodically, or throw someone in prison because
of an interpretation of a law, then it is not personal.  It's a generalized
abstraction that some advocate like a priest or legislator threw-up and managed
to get to stick.  The view that "knowledge is power" is another form.   Free
software advocates like Stallman are well-aware of the thinking of scholars
like Chomsky.   And certainly folks like Assange crossed paths with the free
software movement (in the Stallman sense) on several occasions.   So, rather
than handing out weapons, they hand out tools and information becaus
 e these technologists believe that is the basis for power in the world, or
soon will be.

Marcus