Russ -

I *think* I know what you are getting at, but I don't think we are there yet in this discussion.

I think we've come full circle to the challenges we encountered in the early days of Artificial Life. The first year or two of ALife conferences had a lot of focus on "what IS life?" It is a bit too early in the morning for me to give this proper consideration but as I remember it, there were many examples of systems with life-like or more to the point proto-life-like properties. I doubt I can put my hands on my proceedings from ALife I and ALife II easily and couldn't pull them up online beyond this:

   http://alife.org/conferences-isal-past?page=2

I think your intuition that "unless all of physics would be" is correct, especially when caveated by your own reference to dissipative systems which go on to imply far-from-equilibrium and irreversible systems.

A precursor to the ALife work was that of Tibor Ganti:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemoton

which invoked "metabolism" and "self-replication" as qualities of proto-life.

It seems like Autocatalytics Sets are useful and near-minimal abstractions?

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocatalytic_set

I feel like my maunderings here are vaguely circular when concatenated with your own but I hope someone more incisive than I takes an interest in this discussion and tightens these ideas up a little.

- Steve