On 06/12/2017 10:39 AM, glen ☣ wrote:
> Cf Brian Cantwell Smith in:
> https://global.oup.com/academic/product/philosophy-of-mental-representation-9780198250524?cc=us&lang=en&;

It's not clear to me how common the usage is.  In B.C. Smith's "On the Origin
of Objects", he calls it "inscription error" instead.  In the book cited above,
he states that he prefers "premature registration", mainly because it applies
not only to programming/inscribing, but to things like what happened in this
discussion (where Nick and Steve prematurely clamped on an onion metaphor I
didn't intend).  I still prefer inscription error when I use it in a simulation
context because the meaning is more clear.  In logic or rhetorical contexts,
the standard "petitio principii" still works.

--
☣ glen