Roger writes:

“If we perceived things solely according to their fitness, then how do we
perceive things which have multiple fitnesses, where different aspects of
fitness vary to different schedules, where combinations of things have
different fitnesses than the things met independently, where some things
imitate other things, and so on.”

To select with regard to multiple fitnesses, it is necessary to have rank
orderings for each and to retain the union of some fraction of the top
performing ones.   That means more resources, having more special snowflakes
and more kinds of special snowflakes.     But usually we just get frustrated
and get some lunatic to create a giant extinction event and call it good.

Marcus