Obviously, the word is susceptible to over-simplification.  I tend to take it
as a complex construct with layers of scoping.  And it's not even orthogonally
based.  E.g. I'd suggest that your innermost tribal scope is your variety of
intra-personal needs and motives.  Your math homunculus might disagree a *lot*
with your poetry homunculus.  Together, they are useful to each other.
However, your poetry homunculus may break the intra-personal scope and be more
tightly coupled with, say, the other members of your poetry circle than it is
with your math homunculus.

The same is true of inter-personal scopes.  E.g. I'm fairly loyal to Renee'.
But my nerd herd will usually win in any conflict with her family.  I'm *very*
unlikely to move back to Texas because all the members of my nerd herd are
elsewhere, here, Seattle, New Mexico, California, Virginia, Sweden, Ireland,
Canada!, etc.

Beware anyone who tries to over-simplify "tribe".  But this is mostly a
rarefied point.  The larger obstacle, before anyone's ready to have the
complexity of tribe conversation, is to think of oneself as a *tool*, a means
to an end, not an end in yourself.  I've always been confused by the "tool"
insult, not least of why because they're one of my favorite bands. 8^) I've
always been a tool; and I'm proud of it.  I fear the day I'll no longer be a
tool ... even a dull one.  There's nothing sadder than that old, broken,
wooden-handled hammer, that sits there unused in the garage.

--
☣ uǝlƃ