Re: artificial distinctions --
Allergy?  No.  The word "allergy" implies something like an *unhealthy*, more
than normal, immune response.  My take would be that my (yes, abnormally high)
immune response to artificial discretization is *healthy* and appropriate.
Those of you who don't have such a high response to it are the unhealthy ones.
8^)

Re: obfuscation --
Yes, that's part of the problem with Peterson and his ilk.  They are justifying
folktale motifs with scientismist jargon, much like the quantum and complexity
woo rampant in new age, self-help communities.

Re: intra- vs. organism behavior
I'm not suggesting there's no reason to distinguish between playing blackjack
and fighting.  What I am suggesting is that biological evolution is an
appropriate explanatory tool for physiology, but NOT an appropriate explanatory
tool for behaviors like playing blackjack and fighting.  Please note that I'm
not *claiming* evolution is inappropriate for such questions ... only positing
it as a provocative counter-claim to evopsych claims being made by others.

Re: evopsych-appropriate questions
I'm not so much asking what we're *interested* in.  I'm asking what kinds of
questions should evopsych apply to?  I'd enjoy seeing a response to Dave's last
post, though I seriously question the assumptions he's embedded in them. 8^) In
particular, it's not clear to me if the evidence decisively shows that, in all
hunter-gatherer societies, women exclusively gathered and men exclusively
hunted.  The recent discovery that neolithic (?) women's arms were much
stronger than we might have thought, shows our inferences from (whatever)
evidence can be fragile. But answers to his questions would be helpful,
regardless.  Going back to physiology or anatomy, perhaps gender role
differences can be tied to something like the evolution of the hippocampus, but
not to something psychological like "multi-tasking"?

--
☣ uǝlƃ