From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of glen
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2019 4:47 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

Unfortunately, that is the sense in which I thought you were using the term.
Have I been strawmanned? 8^)

The packaging of a scalar vs the packaging of a matrix are "levels of
analysis", if there ever was such a thing. 8^) To use Eric(C)'s words the
organization of a set of numbers into a matrix isn't in the scalars of which
it's composed.

My example was that higher-organized things like feeling hungry mix directly
with lower-organized things like eyeball jittering. The organization of the
low level stuff (e.g. tissues) isn't hygenically separated from the
organization of the chemicals into a cell. I.e. tissue isn't strictly made
up of cells, and cells aren't strictly made up of complex molecules, etc.
Tissue is a cross-level operator. Tissue is made of molecules as well as
cells (as well as other mixed-level things like lumens).

Hence, it's a fiction (oversimplification) to say that tissue is an
organization of cells. Your hierarchy is fictitious (though perhaps useful
for an entry into some subject matter).

--
glen