On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 04:16:48PM +0000, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> Since I’ve waded in this far, I’ll finish the thought.
>

> The underlying problem that Agile tries to address is that new/young people
> hired-on to a software development project just want to do a job.   They want
> to get promoted and they want to make more money.   They want to believe their
> careers will move forward.   A manager can possibly do that for them, and help
> them navigate a complex (software) ecosystem as they begin.

Having worked for a number of teams using various shades of "agile",
for me agile means one thing only: getting working pieces of software
in front of the stakeholders (clients, users, paymasters) as quickly
and as often as possible. The concept of "minimum viable product" is
useful here. That allows for lots of mid-course corrections, or
abandoning features that the customer won't end up needing before a
lot of development time has been sunk developing it.

All the rest - scrums, kanban, feature promotions, code review, TDD,
extreme programming, burndown charts etc. - are just tools that may or
may not work in any specific situation.

Cheers

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au