Apologies for not snipping more of the below.  I try to only include the
relevant bits.  But Steve is particularly good at tight weaves.

I'll (inappropriately, I'm sure) name Dave's conception of individualism as
"networked extensive individualism" (NEI).  Networked to address what I infer
from the word "absolute".  And the graph is either undirected or the edges are
bidirectional.  Extensive because there's some sense that the attributes of the
nodes extend out along the edges to other nodes.  If we allow for different
types of edges, then each sub-graph (following only the edges associated with 1
attribute) might have a larger or smaller extent/size.  Again, "absolute" would
play, here.

So, if that sort of name is OK, then I have to ask why use the word
"individual" at all?  It sounds very much more like "fabric" or "population"
... perhaps even "gooey colloid".  What does the individual comprise that is
not out in the larger network?

My *guess* is that my intuition tells me there's a natural asymmetry between
actions and considerations (a more neutral way of saying "rights" and
"responsibilities").  An individual can be a towering intellect or a complete
moron and both might be capable of making a great cup of tea.  So, when we
package up, as a kind of shorthand a sub-graph into an "individual", we're
trying to create some sort of equivalence between action and consideration.  If
you act without thinking things through, then we blame you.  If your actions
(even accidentally as I think Scott Adams' prediction Trump would win was an
accident) imply to us that you're some mysterious, deep oracle (e.g. Richard
Feynman), then credit you.

But this is a false equivalence.  A specific form of this is the Great Man
theory, where people like Einstein or whoever are "10-100 times more effective
than average".  If we *parse* "effective" well, then it's true.  But we're in
danger of assuming that efficacy in action is somehow directly related to "deep
thought" or "intelligence" or whatever.

I hope that makes sense.

--
∄ uǝʃƃ