Nick,

May I offend you by proposing a dualism to challenge your behavioral monism?

Using Cohen as illustration. If we state the problem other than it has been so
far:

Given a Context X, the probability of Cohen's Behavior (verbal utterances)
being inconsistent with the "Truth" of that context is Q.

"Truth" is as Pierce would have it — including the statistics.

The dualism is Behavior and Context. Context is not reducible to behavior even
though it may be grounded in behavior, because the "patterns" and the
"Truth"are emergent.

[BTW, I have *"slogged through all those texts for years, and bickered with
those fellow students about their meaning, all under the watchful eye of pros"*
but only with regard non-Western philosophies. Does that count?]

dave west