I've gone low end, around the USD 100 mark, since mobile phones are
just a tool, not the focal centre of you life like it is for some folk
(my laptop is more that thing). Being cheap means I don't worry too
much if I lose it, or it meets an untimely end in say a swimming pool.

In the last 8.5 years since I moved from Symbian to Android I've had
one LG, two Samsungs and am now on a Xiaomi Redmi 5. The LG died with
a faulty earphone jack (couldn't hear the person on the other end
regardless of whether the earphone is being used), the two Samsungs
died with charger circuit issues, but otherwise were fantastic phones
for the approx 2 years they survived. The Redmi, which I've now had
for 6 months has great specs, but the build quality is not so
great. The screen is covered in cracks, and the buttons are starting
to get difficult to press. Oh, well, you gets what you pay for, I suppose.

By contrast, my wife used her iPhone 4s for about 6 years, with only
one cracked screen needing to be replaced. Apple do have good build
quality.

Don't know if this helps.

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au