Hi, Dave,

I have to think about what you say here, apart from the etymology.

Speaking of etymology, I can't tell if etymonline SUPPLEMENTS or DISPUTES your
etymology of "design".  See what you think.  Here it is:

design (v.)

late 14c., "to make, shape," ultimately from Latin designare "mark out, point
out; devise; choose, designate, appoint," from de "out" (see de-) + signare "to
mark," from signum "identifying mark, sign" (see sign (n.)).

The Italian verb disegnare in 16c. developed the senses "to contrive, plot,
intend," and "to draw, paint, embroider, etc." French took both these senses
from Italian, in different forms, and passed them on to English, which uses
design in all senses.

>From 1540s as "to plan or outline, form a scheme;" from 1703 as "to contrive
>for a purpose." Transitive sense of "draw the outline or figure of,"
>especially of a proposed work, is from 1630s; meaning "plan and execute,
>fashion with artistic skill" is from 1660s. Intransitive sense of "do original
>work in a graphic or plastic art" is by 1854. Also used in 17c. English with
>the meaning now attached to designate. Related: Designed; designing.

design (n.)

1580s, "a scheme or plan in the mind," from Middle French desseign, desseing
"purpose, project, design," from the verb in French (see design (v.)).
Especially "an intention to act in some particular way," often to do something
harmful or illegal (1704); compare designing. Meaning "adoption of means to an
end" is from 1660s.

In art, "a drawing, especially an outline," 1630s. The artistic sense was taken
into French as dessin from Italian disegno, from disegnare "to mark out," from
Latin designare "mark out, devise, choose, designate, appoint" (which is also
ultimately the source of the English verb), from de "out" (see de-) + signare
"to mark," from signum "identifying mark, sign" (see sign (n.)).

    [T]he artistic sense was taken into Fr. and gradually differentiated in
spelling, so that in mod.F. dessein is 'purpose, plan', dessin 'design in art'.
Eng. on the contrary uses design, conformed to the verb, in both senses. [OED]

General (non-scheming) meaning "a plan our outline" is from 1590s. Meaning "the
practical application of artistic principles" is from 1630s. Sense of "artistic
details that go to make up an edifice, artistic creation, or decorative work"
is from 1640s.

Related Entries

Nick Thompson

Clark University