Dave writes:

< I don't see the point in supporting politicians like Ocasio-Cortez or even
Warren and trying to convince people to give up their cars or quit eating meat
in order to reduce the amount of carbon being put into the atmosphere, simply
because I have zero belief that it will happen. I do see a greater likelihood
that money contributed to research on carbon scrubbers will result in something
that will help and will be actually put into play. >

Tax greenhouse gas emissions to keep the research going.  There’s been some
pushback [1] about that.  The text [2] reads:

“(J) removing greenhouse gases from the atmosphere and reducing pollution by
restoring

natural ecosystems through proven low-tech solutions that increase soil carbon
storage, such as land preservation and afforestation;”

[1]
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/01/first-fight-about-democrats-climate-green-new-deal/580543/

[2] https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/hres109/BILLS-116hres109ih.pdf