Hi, Glen,

I don't think Eric is talking about the reliability of what happens when one
get's drunk;  I think he is talking about the applicability of lessons one
might learn while being drunk to life when one is NOT drunk.  I suppose one
might ask why am I privileging sobriety?  Isn't it also the case that the
lessons I learn while NOT drunk have limited applicability to life while drunk?
Why not focus on that?

I like the plainness of what Glen writes below:

Even if you're as frightened as Nick by such, you can still consider donations.
E.g. https://maps.org/

Indeed, I am frightened by these drugs.  Frightened for myself, frightened more
for my grand children, etc.  Yes I think it goes back to that Hegelian thing,
Apollonians and Dionysians.  Dionysians see life as a bunch of opportunities;
Apollonians see life itself as the opportunity, and anything that threatens it
as a hazard.  The Dionysian nightmare is confinement; the Apollonian nightmare
is of being lost and never getting back.  Does this explain why so many of the
Dionysians I know had strict religious backgrounds?  They were members of a
congregation, once.   For me, FRIAM is my first.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

Clark University

thompnicks...@gmail.com