When McWhorter came to the Lensic on one of his tours, he made a rhetorically
powerful argument against the Whorfian hypothesis in natural languages. I
now tend to side with him, even though I cannot really remember the
structure of his argument. On the other hand, SteveS makes a great point
regarding translations of programs between languages. Barry's comment also,
for me, rings true. Perhaps, a kernel of the programmer's first language is
to be found in all future writing. Computer languages, unlike Athena, do not
come fully formed from the head. The state of the art continues to be under
radical development and is not just engaged in an empty proliferation of
simulacra. The work of logicians and philosophers, each with a stake in the
development of human thinking itself, continue to help move the art forward.
The ideas of Categorical logicians continue to develop languages like
Haskell, and those (academic) ideas continue to direct and further refine
the development of otherwise sprawling spaghetti monster languages like
javascript (React, for instance). The work of homotopy type theorists
continues to improve our understanding of automatic proof, the reasonability
of mathematical objects, and refinement of philosophically useful notions
like dependent typing (Agda, Coq, Isabelle). The interactions here are rich
and not unidirectional. The ideas being developed are meaningful to the
state-of-the-art and not just more FORTRAN. While it might be true that
Alonzo Church gave us computation, there is still much to be discovered.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam