I'm a big fan of but some members of this group have been highly
critical of Bret Weinstein in previous emails. I'll be monitoring the
exercise described below where the integrity of Bret Weinstein will be
scrutinized.

Background
The online magazine Quilette published an article
https://quillette.com/2021/07/06/looking-for-covid-19-miracle-drugs-we-already-have-them-theyre-called-vaccines/
highly critical of Bret Weinstein and his guests.

Now, supporters of Bret decided to challenge the article and are launching
a $10k "Ground truth challenge".
https://www.betterskeptics.com/launching-the-10k-ground-truth-challenge/

I quote:
"As listeners of the DarkHorse Podcast, we are well aware of the
seriousness of the claims being made by its hosts and guests. Like most, we
would prefer if those claims were not true. We read the Quillette piece
with interest, hoping to hear a counterpoint that gave us reason to think
things would turn out for the best. We were disappointed
<https://twitter.com/alexandrosm/status/1412814554510200832> to discover
that under basic scrutiny, the criticisms crumbled.

The pervasive view that the DarkHorse Podcast broadcasts misinformation,
paired with the inability to point to exactly what that misinformation
might be, leads us to wonder about what failure of sensemaking might be
taking place on either side of this debate. We believe we need 'better
skeptics', ones committed to calling out bad behavior, but also to offering
concrete evidence for scrutiny.

We decided to make this our first experiment in collective sensemaking:
Could an online community, aided by a purpose-built protocol, resolve the
question of factual veracity in the views expressed by Bret, Heather, and
their guests, on the topic of vaccines and ivermectin?
Unlike existing fact checkers, we recognize that in new and developing
situations, no-one can or should claim to hold the absolute truth.
Consequently instead of "verificationism", we're embracing Popper's
Falsification philosophy. We can't aspire to verify all claims out there,
but we can attempt to eliminate demonstrably bad statements by
falsification and in that process illuminate the voices that may be
pointing to truth."
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/