Nicely written article, on a thing we have been looking forward to for a while.

Would be interesting to look at this state under Lorentz transforms, given that
it is spatially localized and using Anderson’s asymptotically-total internal
reflection to create a specially ordered pattern (if I understood which of the
designs was ultimately used).

Quantum computer made of ultra-cold aligned particles in a synchrotron
accelerator.

Eric

> On Aug 11, 2021, at 11:16 PM, uǝlƃ ☤>$ <geprope...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Eternal Change for No Energy: A Time Crystal Finally Made Real
> https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.quantamagazine.org%2ffirst-time-crystal-built-using-googles-quantum-computer-20210730%2f&c=E,1,pWVZJcEdKd1HtqiLo8HFw4ge3TSdSFiGHzhgSAgSrq1RoMvoQHZywkMvhN_C2YStFFVjbSfGkmrm1y3aKMV56pjw_dyXXMZqVlabOEKlSBXmSa0TFls,&typo=1
>

> On 7/26/21 7:59 AM, uǝlƃ ☤>$ wrote:
>> No, thanks very much for the transcript. Time as updating is an old concept.
>> So, it's not clear to me that they're talking about anything new *there*.
>> But they sound a bit wrong to me in decoupling the updating from the
>> *subgraph* that gets updated as well as any kind of causal cascade of
>> updating (dependent/sequential vs. independent/parallel). You can't separate
>> dependency from the graph. So if there is a dependent update in one part of
>> the graph, dependent on another part of the graph, then the updating cannot
>> be independent of the graph. I.e. space and time are not independent and,
>> perhaps, not different things at all. Perhaps progressive updating is
>> *merely* that the graph has large scale cycles? So, an updating over there
>> drives an updating here, which drives an updating over there?
>>
>> Of course, they're way smarter than me. So I'm sure there's some deep
>> literature somewhere and I should, but probably won't, RTFM.
>>

>> On 7/23/21 6:32 PM, Jon Zingale wrote:
>>> Anyway, I hope including the transcript here was not too boring.
>>
>> [reordered rather than snipped]
>>
>>> Thank you for looking into it. Yes, that is the publication. Also, thank
>>> you for posting "The post-truth prophets"[0]. Sean Illing manages to get at
>>> the heart of what I find myself defending regarding postmodernism[1]. You
>>> may remember that some months ago, I was on a "Bergson through the eyes of
>>> Deleuze"-kick. Bergson, a prominent philosopher of mind, space, and time
>>> (in his time) was driven completely underground by Einstein, Russell, and
>>> other promoters of relativity theory. By many historical accounts, the work
>>> of Bergson could have been all but forgotten had Deleuze not resurrected
>>> his ideas, and especially their applications to film. Crucial to Bergson's
>>> conception was to recognize time and space as explicitly different kinds of
>>> things, and via his admiration of Riemann, sought out but never found a
>>> mathematical treatment for his ideas. Listening to Wolfram's interview on
>>> Sean Carroll's podcast[2], I cannot help but wonder if this recent work is
>>> a step toward Bergson's
>>> dream. Around 42 minutes into the interview, SeanC and SteveW record:
>>>
>>> """
>>> 0:41:26.7 SW: That is, you might have thought to get something as
>>> computationally sophisticated as us humans with our brains and all this
>>> kind of thing you need the whole process that’s led to us humans. But what
>>> the principle of computational equivalence says is that’s not true. Even
> [...]

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/