From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> On Behalf Of Steve Smith
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 9:16 AM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] A pretty cellular automata video

We do have a robotic vacuum who we have personified somewhat...   the Cat
ignores it, the Dog was constantly needing to nip at it, but backed off anytime
it changed course when it was near her.   It is far from Rosie (Jetsons).  But
I suppose I might upgrade to Astro.

A friend made the observation not that long ago, that the legacy of Homo Faber
has been to constantly create technology to replace ourselves.   First it was a
more robust/warmer skin cover, better cutting/rending items than our teeth and
claws, augmentation of heavy labor, transportation, etc...  now we have
machines we hope will think for us and make better decisions.   And by
machines, I don't mean *just* mechanical devices, but also systems including
human-facilitated bureaucracy/governing, etc.

It seems like in the limit it makes posthumanism (human extinction) the
ultimate outcome?

"Bandwidth" sounds as if there are robots among us who are listening. Amazon
offers now an "Astro" robot - a tablet attached to a vacuum cleaner body. What
do you think of it, would you buy one? ZDNet says it costs about $1500
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NSDFSB

-J.