Glen sed:
As always, treating posts to a permanent, public forum like this as if they
were chatty conversations seems ill-advised. I'm guilty of it, too. But ... tu
quoque, I guess.

I think I finally appreciate the key point you were making when you have said things like this before.   I somehow was reading "should" in a different mode.  "ill advised" in the context of public/permanent is what I think you were emphasizing (which I was missing).

I've left my foot in my mouth in public here and elsewhere many times for sure, and likely often when I made this conflation (public/permanent forum vs private/ephemeral chat).

I often find reading Wikipedia Discussion pages entertaining for that.   A little like sitting at the back of the restaurant and overhearing the staff bickering and/or snarking about customers/management/one-another.

FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
archives:
5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/