One of the segments of the undergraduate cultural anthropology course I taught,
the one that I enjoyed teaching the most, focused on sex, gender, and marriage.
I took great pleasure (yes Nick,  schadenfreude) destroying all the
preconceived notions and asserted "Truths" of my, mostly Catholic and upper
class students.

Sex is a linear spectrum: everyone is conceived female and, at about 6 weeks,
males start to become differentiated. But no one is 100% male. The closest
thing to binary, is the ability to produce viable eggs versus the ability to
produce viable sperm.

Gender is a complex multi-dimensional space with almost no consistency across
cultures. The closest thing to a gender universal: among all known
hunter-gatherer societies, women always gather and men always hunt. No one
knows why and every proposed "reason" is shot down convincingly by empirical
evidence.

Sexuality (behavior) is also a complex multi-dimensional space and there are
far more variations, dear Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy. Several
aspects of sexuality appear to have a biological 'cause' with same sex
attraction being the most researched.

Although it is possible to form, at least tentative, correlations across the
two complex spaces and the spectrum; those correlations tend to be statistical
'patterns' more than anything else.

The 'Great Hurrah' regarding sex/gender the past few years is, IMHO, mostly
nonsense, oversimplification, and reification in service of politics and power.

But, I am more than happy to call you 'It' or other term of your choice if you
notify me in advance of your desire.

davew