I read a report in the 90s that as LA was getting a grip on their air pollution they discovered that the two greatest contributers to particulates were tire-dust and unburned charcoal lighter fluid!

When I drive long distances (dumb idea in it's own right) one of the mental calculations I have done to pass the time is "how many gallons of auto-fuel have I burned in my lifetime?"   I do this by remembering each vehicle (and I have had many) I owned and roughly how many miles i put on it's clock during my tenure (usually 50-150k per vehicle) and the average fuel economy (worst was 15 for fullsize pickups, best was 60 for my honda insight before going EV).   I don't know how many gallons (or liters for the metrics here) a tanker truck carries, but rough volumetric comparison to the 55 gallon drums I know gave me a decent guess that I had probably burned through *several* of them in my lifetime.   Another ideation is *how many lugnuts* are there on the highway at any given time (post-apocalyptic slingshot ammo?). It is like counting sheep by counting their feet and dividing by 4, only bigger factors, esp with 18 wheelers.

I had not done the same calculation with tire-dust but I *do* have a sense of the number of miles I get from any given set of tires, the depth of tread turned to dust or ground into macadam, and the circumference/width of the tires.  It is not a small number.   I don't know how much bonds into the macadam, how much flutters up into the air as particulates and how much runs off into our waterways.  I guess the answer is "too much"?  But that is kindof lame.

I busted out my trusty windbreaker I hardly ever use (had it for 20 years, used it 3 times?) to take on this trip to the EU.   When I unrolled it in the early morning slog-through-rain in Reykjavik I discovered that the lining was decomposing so as I donned and doffed and redonned that I was now covered in plastic dandruff averaging 1cm in size and was trailing the same.   Once out of the weather, I rolled it back up lining inside and dusted the dander off my clothes and luggage and the chair I had sat in.   It felt bad.   Later in Dublin I needed it again to walk a few blocks to pick up some food at an odd time (jet lag) and thought i was smart to shake it good (outside) and then wear it inside out so the "dander" would fall "harmlessly" to the street.   I rolled it back up and have only worn my dress overshirts to keep warm/dryish since.  The damn windbreaker *still* sheds.   Throwing it in a bin only makes it someone else's problem.  I suppose rolling it and wrapping it and sending it to the landfill is as good as it is going to get for me?  And where DID all that Teflon(tm) coating on my favorite omelette pan back home go as it went from pristine to heavily scratched (down to the Alzheimer's-implicated Aluminum?).   Quick! Throw it into someone else's backyard.

I've been reading for *years* about the problem with "degradeable plastics" and the threat of microparticulate plastics in the environment and here I was *shedding* them all over the dublin street.   By the time I walked back I could see no evidence (reference Hansel and Gretel and bread crumbs) of them... where did they go?

At LANL there was a joking truism in the environmental restoration groups (huge funding with only increasing budgets) of "the solution to pollution is dilution".   I can see how this was a real thing when/if/as biosystems can actually metabolize whatever it is you are "diluting" at a rate that keeps up with your dumping.   The traditional pollutants of humans (e.g. faeces) can be managed this way  it seems (animals do it by necessity) but the question is what is the threshold of dilution and how do we concentrate our selves and activities without turning our streets (as medieval cities did) into open sewers?   With non-biological pollutants (especially radionuclides with half-lives of centuries or millenia) this really sucks as a solution.   Similarly with heavy metals (anyone here worry about mercury poisoning from seafood?).

We have noticed that in Europe (and UK) most food service disposables are more appropriately *decomposable*... paper and wood and the only thing they seem to bother to encourage recycling for is plastic bottles (everywhere).   Glass and decomposables seem to go to a landfill which is actually pretty reasonable... Glass is *roughly* just fancy chunky sand and the cellulose products will decompose roughly as well as forest/prarie biomass does anyway, producing CO2 at best and Methane at worst.   I burn all my combustables in my woodstove, even in the summer but composting is probably as good, especially aerobic composting. We haven't seen any metal refuse here which was not aluminum (the ONE recyclable with significant material value as-returned).  At least the piles of steel cans dumped in the arroyos in Northern NM are slowly becoming iron oxide, perhaps innocuous in most contexts.

- Bumble