Mary Catherine Bateson was a close friend of mine.  She and Gregory (her
father) worked closely together. She and I once shared a long train ride
where she talked about her life in relationship to not one, but two
(Margaret Mead) famous parents.  Before Covid, in 2019, she invited me for
a long weekend to her get-away house in the New Hampshire woods. I
interviewed her about the early days of systems thinking, cybernetics and
the Macy conferences.  It was mid-March, and I drove her to a wee public
house nearby to hear some St. Patrick's day music. We lifted a pint and
exchanged stories about the Irish for whom we shared a special regard.
Mary Catherine died last year.  I miss her still.

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA