The "computer" of Ramon Lull (founder of computational science, later expanded
by Leibniz) is definitely geometric, so perhaps of all of computing is tainted.
The computer was actually moveable disks sharing a common center point;
allowing "computation" of answers to theo-philosopical questions.

included diagram, but forgot text in previous email.

davew

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022, at 4:01 PM, Prof David West wrote:
> [...]
>>> /the formal architectural concerns — and names//
>>> /
>>> /like Le Corbusier, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe,//
>>> /
>>> /Frank Gehry, and Daniel Libeskind — are thus//
>>> /
>>> /thrown out of the window./ [Salingaros]
>>>
>>> /The new form of//
>>> /
>>> /architecture that I am speaking about is beginning//
>>> /
>>> /to be understood by engineers, by ecologists,//
>>> /
>>> /by computer scientists, by builders, by//
>>> /
>>> /artists, by biologists, by economists. Many of//
>>> /
>>> /these people recognize that architects are simply//
>>> /
>>> /not dealing with the problem of the en-//
>>> /
>>> /vironment in a realistic or useful fashion, and//
>>> /
>>> /that the task of building now falls on their own//
>>> /
>>> /shoulders. Under the impact of that kind of//
>>> /
>>> /thinking, people are now developing new ways//
>>> /
>>> /of banking, new ways of development, new//
>>> /
>>> /forms of social reconstruction, and new forms//
>>> /
>>> /of housing, new forms of sustainable settlements.//
>>> /
>>> /In many countries, the primary way of conceiving//
>>> /
>>> /and making buildings and settlements//
>>> /
>>> /is already people-oriented. It is not recognizable//
>>> /
>>> /within the existing paradigm as architecture,//
>>> /
>>> /and architects despise it because it looks//
>>> /
>>> /low budget, low tech, and is oriented to people’s//
>>> /
>>> /desperate needs — yet all this is, within//
>>> /
>>> /the perspective of our new architecture, a major//
>>> /
>>> /contribution to the new, life-based paradigm.//
>>> /
>>> /All this is only its beginning. These new//
>>> /
>>> /kinds of professionals, and new social forms,//
>>> /
>>> /are beginning to develop and propagate new//
>>> /
>>> /ways of doing things.//
>>> /
>>> /And what architects now claim is simply being//
>>> /
>>> /laid aside as the nonsense it really is/. [Alexander]
>>>
>>> Still not seeing much in the way for formalism, let along geometric
>>> formalism.
>>>
>>> davew
>>>
>>> Alexander's Fifteen Properties from Nature of Order
>>> 2. Strong centers
>>> 3. Thick boundaries
>>> 4. Alternating repetition
>>> 5. Positive space