Yes, agreed fully on the overall picture of models versus the reality we
understand is out there.

On convexity, I guess I would put this into the category of error (Bhuddist)
but not sin (Christian).  The convex models are the simplest category.
Everything else that isn’t convex occupies a big taxonomy, and even what the
categories should be is probably mostly not understood.  For each valid “kind”
of non-convexity, we only make progress on it when we can get some idea that
demonstrably solves problems of analysis for that class.  Of course, I don’t
aspire even to make arguments about the whole shebang, but there are a few
small cases in which I can see how the non-convexity works, what mistakes are
made by settling for a convex-hull dimensional reduction, and what other tools
exist for handling the fuller problem.  (So as not to be cryptic, I am
referring to uses of Hamilton-Jacobi theory and related dynamical-systems
approximations — also severe severe and information-losing approximations — to
handle a class of nonlinear rate equations for stoichiometric processes in
which the dimensionally-reduced generating functions are not complex.)

On hypergraphs versus other representations, also strongly agree.
Stoichiometry is one very particular aspect in which one can assign types to
events.  Even within the tiny world of rule-based stochastic processes, we have
well-developed other representations that capture different information than a
stoichiometric representation could capture, and the two are not
interconvertible.  In particular, as I read much of what you describe, it
brings to my mind the many kinds of programmatic organization that I think of
as “computational” or “algorithmic” in one or another sense.  I understand that
there is much more in the world, and probably much more you have in mind, than
this second small category too.  But for me, a really interesting question is
when less-structured classes like stoichiometric ones can include models whose
dynamics create algorithmic organization as well.  My own application is to get
from chemistry to things like biological information flow, lifecycles, and
such.

On mapping from economy to systems biology.  Certainly I would not want to
approach the effort as one of mapping, for reasons that I suspect are very much
like yours.  One should try to justify a formal representation from the whole
cloth of the phenomena, not by analogy or appeal to authority.  But in this
case, once one is using a hypergraph for whatever reason, there is a repository
of tools and experience accumulated by the systems biologists that apply at the
level of the math, and no longer depend on the struts that must be tested
separately to validate that representation.

Pre-registered apologies for whatever incoherence is in the above paragraphs.
I am writing under heavy incoming fire.

Eric

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam