Evolutionary psychology is one of those disciplines where you see whatever you want to see. Now, I haven't
read Nesse. But wherever anyone tries to reduce a high dimensional, dynamic space like whatever it is
evolution operates over and within to a single cause-effect narrative, I get suspicious. Do bad feelings
prevent "us" from doing things bad for us? My friends who've committed suicide might disagree. E.g.
in one case of bipolar disorder, the bad (and good) feelings seemed purely cyclic and physiological. The
highs caused him to do "bad" things. And the lows clearly did not prevent him from doing bad
things. Of course, stories don't make for good science. So it's a wash either way. I suppose a charitable way
to reword it is "bad feelings emerged from the milieu as a way to bias behavior toward self-sustenance
and away from self-dissolution" ... like an amoeba extending a pseudopod along a gradient. But we
already knew that without the sophisticated story telling in EvoPsych.

Re: dreams - I had a dream last night where I was living in an unfamiliar house
with a bunch of people I didn't know. The house caught on fire. My cat Scooter
was there. There was fire coming down the chimney and in through the back door
... like it was more the outside was on fire than the house, I guess. Scooter,
confused, tried to run up the chimney and all his fur burnt off, after which he
came back out and I tried and failed to grab him. Then he ran out the door,
into the fire, and burnt up the rest of the way. Does this dream help me
prepare for unknown danger? I doubt it.

What's more likely is that it's an artifact of predictive processing where your brain is a random
number generator (rng) and, while sleeping, there's no reality against which to impedance match. So
the random numbers it generates can just propagate on however long, to whatever sequence obtains.
Such exercises help with the rng's expression, making it more active and robust so that, while
awake, one can think more energetically about, within, and around one's world of constraints.
Again, charitably, I might restate Rvonsuo as "dreams help us find the nooks and crannies in
the hull of constraints presented to us by reality - the edge cases - by exercising our random
number generator brain". But this doesn't imply "danger" so much as interestingness
... or something like a fractal or a space-filling curve.