Pieter -

Congratulations on what sounds like a win from your perspective... we sure haven't exhibited much grace lately.   I felt like Gore (2000) and Hillary 2016), despite fighting for transparency and fairness backed out/down pretty gracefully pretty quickly... absolutely not so in 2020 and possibly never again?  I think bad habits might be harder to break than good ones...

Did I hear correctly that SA was the first (main?) country to ask the ICC to treat the Netanyahu gov't as war criminals?  With the new President of MX running on that as part of her platform?   Was it the outgoing SA government or the incoming (or new coalition?) who holds that stance?   Was that stance part of the political calculus that pushed the ANC out?

There are many here who are more politically astute than I am so I'm asking for feedback on my observations:

1. Parliamentary Democracies.   A shallow search tells me that there
   are easily a half-dozen variations which are for the most part too
   subtly differentiated for me to know what to think about them.
   Overall it seems to me that some/many of these systems have been
   able to avoid the political lock-in that comes with some of our own
   "winner take all" systems.   Is this even vaguely accurate, are
   there notable exceptions?
2. I sometimes hear that Parliamentary Democracies are "better" in that
   they are more able to represent centrist majorities over extremist
   populism as it feels we have been courting/experiencing through
   modern history.   I also sometimes hear that the volatile nature of
   the possibility of on-demand elections and reformulation of
   coalitions yields "too much" change too quickly to settle into good
   governance?
3. I feel as if our Presidential system and style of separation of
   powers was well intentioned and perhaps worked well up to a point
   but that either evolutionary pressures (over time) have undermined
   that separation or perhaps simply that astute (and
   aggressive/greedy?) individuals have "gamed" it into ???
4. We have discussed Ranked Choice voting and elimination of
   (obsolute?) institutions like the Electoral College to try to remedy
   this in the US but I'm not sure how quickly we will get a 'round tuit.

I don't know how many non US (active/interested?) members of FriAM we have here but I do recognize we have notable engagement from you (SA) and Germany (JF) and Australia and India and Ecuador (GS) and NL (JQ/DW) and Egypt/Sweden (Mohammed ex-officio?) with first-hand experience under various forms of parliamentary gov'ts and the many hear are very well traveled and have close colleagues globally who must report/confer on these issues from time to time.

I think of SA as being somewhat unique in a number of ways that might be salient to the contemporary questions at hand in the world which include maybe most notably the waning (or ringing) legacy of the colonialism that started during the age of exploration and then took a strange turn during modern (golden age of transportation/communication forward?) times?

- Steve