Steve,

Here are some thoughts on South Africa prompted by your post and questions:

a) The current situation in South Africa is quite interesting, especially
regarding your question about whether South Africa was the first (or main)
country to ask the ICJ to treat the Netanyahu government as war criminals.
Yes, South Africa brought the genocide case against Israel at the
International Court of Justice. The outgoing ANC government was very
pro-Palestine and pro-Russia, while the official opposition, the DA, was
very pro-Israel and pro-Ukraine. The incoming Government of National Unity
(GNU) is essentially a coalition of five parties, led primarily by the ANC
and DA as the "senior" partners. Although not officially stated, the
original GNU agreement document, which was made public, only has the
signatures of the ANC and DA. The other three parties are effectively
junior partners in the new government. Therefore, the two senior partners
in the GNU have radically different views on the Israel/Palestine issue.

There are other ideological differences between the ANC and DA as well. The
ANC focuses on addressing past injustices, whereas the DA emphasizes
economic growth. Despite these hurdles, I believe the GNU has a good chance
of succeeding. There appears to be a high level of maturity and trust among
the GNU leaders, though it remains risky and could potentially go very
wrong.

b) Regarding your point about South Africa's unique position in
contemporary global issues, especially the legacy of colonialism, I believe
we are fortunate to have had strong leadership during our transition to
democracy. Things could have gone much worse. Two major figures in this
peaceful transition (despite significant political violence before the
first democratic election in 1994) were FW de Klerk and Nelson Mandela.

- Under FW de Klerk, the last apartheid regime willingly relinquished
power. This is rare in world history, where such power is typically taken
by force.
- Nelson Mandela’s exceptional leadership during the transition is
remarkable. It's amazing how someone who was incarcerated for 27 years,
from 1962 until his release in 1990, could be so tolerant towards those
responsible for his imprisonment.