Dear Stephen,

Thank you for prompting me to respond to this inquiry.  I was having some
trouble getting the image to behave on my computer, and so was reluctant to
wade in.

 Indeed, just as nature abhors vacuums, she abhors straight lines, and so
any line as straight as this one requires a special explanation.  To me,
that the line points southwestward toward the radar site NW of ABQ suggests
a radar artifact, perhaps the shadow or some distant hill.  As we watched
the animated radar image, we could see a persistent weakness in the radar
echo along that line, even as the clouds crossed it.

Speaking of abhorrent straight lines, during our conversation with Frank,
we spent quite a lot of time discussing another line, a berm of sand that
runs across the Galisteo Basin in roughly the same orientation, perhaps 50'
high?.  I had noticed this feature on topo maps and always assumed it was
an old railway embankment.  Frank, who knows the area well, thought that
idea was absurd.  So, we were left with the puzzle of a highly linear
geological formation several miles long.

Could it be that this geological straight line accounts for the straight
line cloud formation that Mr. Kadlubek  sees? As the dry line breaks down
in anticipation of the SW Monsoon, moist air does indeed move northward,
following the river valleys up from TX.   AT some point, it will be raised
enough that its moisture is condensed leading to the release of latent heat
and the further development of clouds.  If the structure that raises it is
a straight line, then the clouds themselves will be arranged in a straight
line.  We can see this effect often along linear coast lines as a sea
breeze front topped by (usually) fair weather cumulus.  However, given all
the dramatic topography in the area, it's hard for me to imagine that this
low lying feature would be determining very often.

I, too, live for the weather.  I don't live for Face Book, however.  So if
you have any way to put in touch with Mr. Kadlubek, he and I could perhaps
have coffee when I get back to Santa Fe in the fall.

Yours faithfully,

Nick Thompson
"Behavioral Meteorologist"

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam