Bill Page wrote:

> On 29 October 2015 at 21:31, Alasdair McAndrew <amc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On a side issue, I note that gsll works by providing a wrapper for gsl using
> > the Foreign Function Interface (which is why we need the ffi libraries).
> > This means that the SPAD function in gsl.spad calls a lisp function in
> > gsl.lisp which calls the gsll function gsll:integration-qng which in turns
> > calls the gsl function defined in /usr/local/src/gsl-1.16/integration/qag.c
>
> I see nothing wrong with this strategy since just calling C from Lisp
> is the hardest part.  GSLL solves many (but not all) of the problems
> with type conversions.

Not exactly.  There are types in C and they map reasonably to
Spad types.  Lisp encourages things which are awkward in
Spad.  In both cases one needs to declare types at Spad
level and some cases needs wrappers.  One needs to ensure
that libraries can be found, which for Lisp means that
we need to find bot Lisp library and C library.