On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 9:10 AM Ray <raymond.roger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ..
> There are two forms of factoring programs.  I have a test harness
> to both; separately right now.
> In order to try things out:
> Using Konrad Schrempf's method you can do something like this
> x19:FDA :=(z+1)*(z+2)*(x-2);  +++The declaration is not optional
> factor(x19)::List(XDP)
> --- Or more surprising to me, but proves there is no cheating:
> aa:FDA := (x^6-1)*(x^6+1)
> factor(aa)::List(XDP)
> ---
> --- For Bill Page's solution
> x19:XDP :=(z+1)*(z+2)*(x-2);  +++The declaration is not optional
> factor(x19)::List(XDP)
> aa:XDP :=(x^4-1)
> factor(aa)::List(XDP) ; +++ The "List(XDP)" is not needed but I put it in
> --- for uniformity.  The x^6-1 causes a stack error in lisp.
> ---           Total bytes allocated    =    1072031360
> ---           Dynamic-space-size bytes =    1073741824
> ---

Except as a short reference we should probably not use the phrase
"Bill Page's solution". According to Konrad the algorithm currently
implemented in XDPOLYF1 originates from a suggestion by Daniel
Smertnig. The original version was coded by Konrad as a "exercise". I
just improved the coding a little. Its main purpose is mostly
educational and as a potential aid in further developing/testing
Konrad's ALS work. Now that the ALS coding includes a complete
factoring implementation, the actual "production" version of XDPOLYF1
should just be re-written as a wrapper to FDALG.

Rewriting XDPOLYF1 would serve to answer some of Ralf's "usability"
comments. It is probably true however the FDALG itself could be
"cleaned up" a little to seem a less developer-oriented.

> I will send the git hub addresses for the testing if you want;
> I promise to put up Schrempf's test fixture on git hub today.
> It has improvements in reporting but there is something I want
> to add later.

I still think a comprehensive testsuite for FDALG and related domains
would be a valuable addition.

Bill Page.