Hi Kostas,

>>> I am new to FriCAS, but not to TeXmacs. Could someone comment on
>>> what is the current status of the TeXmacs interface? The most
>>> recent posts on the subject seem to be back in 2018.  Is the
>>> interface still receiving attention or has it been abandoned and
>>> replaced by something else?

As far as I know the interface is actually done by the TeXmacs people.
There is only little code that is done on the FriCAS side. One is the
domain TexmacsFormat and the other one is some code in the fricas script
to start in "texmacs mode", i.e. calling fricas like

  fricas -texmacs

That's probably how TeXmacs starts the connection to FriCAS, but I
cannot say for sure.

https://github.com/fricas/fricas/blob/master/src/etc/fricas#L107

As you can see, texmacs only starts FRICASsys (which is the actual
computation engine), but not sman (which in turn would start FRICASsys,
HyperDoc, Graphics, etc.

The interface is working and it is a matter of interest to maintain and
extend it.

However, that brings me to the questions why do you need HyperDoc?
Personally, I am rather working on removing HyperDoc from FriCAS and
replacing it by other technology. You certainly already know
fricas.github,io/api . That already contains a big part of what is in
HyperDoc. My idea is to make that stuff also available for lokal use
without internet connection.

>>> I cannot do some simple things, e.g, search for where the
>>> operation "gradient" is defined.

http://fricas.github.io/api/search.html?q=gradient&check_keywords=yes&area=default

Ralf