On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 1:19 PM Kurt Pagani <nil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03.05.2021 18:09, Bill Page wrote:
> > If it is necessary to consider alternatives, then I think one other approach
> > would be to export a function that sets a "presentation" property on a
> > Symbol
> > and then make use of that property (if it exists) and if the flag is set in
> > FormatMathJax. The benefit then might be that a formatter would have a
> > choice as
> > to whether to use the presentation property string or not.
>
> Do you think of something like setProperty/display in BOP?
> https://fricas.github.io/api/BasicOperator.html

Yes, but probably a new property just to specify an alternate
presentation for a particular symbol. Perhaps there could be several
such alternatives of interest to different formatters. But if no
relevant property exists or if for some reason it might be undesirable
in a certain context then the fall back would be to just treat it the
way it is done now.

Of course more sophisticated things are possible. For example it might
be nice to have some way to pass (sub/super/...)-scripts to the
frontend formatter for substitution into a LaTeX snippet, i.e. like
arguments to a macro.

> Or have I completely misread your suggestion?
>
> I've been using the those methods for some time, e.g.
> f:=operator 'f
> display(f,o+->F)
> f [x,y,z] -> F
> properties f -> table(%display = NONE)
>
> in order to suppress the arguments (enhancing readibility of large formulas),
> however, it's not exatly brilliant :( - you'll notice that as soon as you need
> derivatives.

This sounds like another very good idea that should be polished up a
little and included in FriCAS.

> @Waldek
> > it is not something
> > localized but in principle has very wide scope.
>
> Admitted, however, what's wrong with this? It concerns MathJax only, and a
> sin(a) remains as is unless you define another representation for "a" -
> strictly
> speaking, it's more like a substitution.

I can see that the current proposal might be undesirable if the same
worksheet is to be presented in another format, e.g. a worksheet
prepared in jfricas but later you want to use it in TeXmacs.