On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 07:57:55AM -0800, 'Nasser M. Abbasi' via FriCAS -
computer algebra system wrote:
> I think there is something not right here.  I am also getting same problem
> as posted above with sbcl
>
> fatal error encountered in SBCL pid 6123 tid 6123:
> Heap exhausted, game over.
>
> I tried it on Linux manjaro, latest version with KDE version and XFCE
> version, and they both fail with same error.
>
> Then I tried to build fricas 1.3.10 on same linux box where I now have a
> running 1.3.9, and it also gave same error.
>
> >which sbcl
> /usr/bin/sbcl
> >sbcl --version
> SBCL 2.3.11
>
> But I build 1.3.9 OK on this same Linux with same lisp. So why 1.3.10 fail
> to build?

The file causing failure was added in FriCAS 1.3.10, it is not present
in earlier versions.

> Using the suggested workaround
>
> ./configure --with-lisp="sbcl --dynamic-space-size 4096"
>
> also did not work for me. escaping or now escaping. I could not get it to
> work.

You can use your own sbcl "executable" (that is shell script).  Put
the following into a file called 'my_sbcl' (or whatever you prefer):

#!/bin/sh
exec sbcl --dynamic-space-size 4096 "$@"

and do 'chmod 755 my_sbcl'.  After that you can use 'my_sbcl'
as your Lisp.

> Building sbcl from source it not practical.

Actually, this is quite easy:

1) Dowwnload sbcl sources from www.sbcl.org
2) Unpack (untar) sources
3) cd to sbcl-x.y.z   (where x.y.z is sbcl version)
4) sh make.sh --dynamic-space-size=8Gb --prefix=/path/to/install/directory
   where /path/to/install/directory points to place where you want it
   to live
5) sh install.sh

> Asking people to search the net
> for lisp and download source files and
> figure how to build it.
>
> I never had to do this before with Fricas. I always install lisp using the
> package manager. One click and done.
>
> And it always worked and caused no problem. I never had to play with memory
> sizes and any of this.

Good for you.  'sbcl' running out of memory during compliation is old
news.   Some old versions had insane memory use (IIRC somebody tried
to give 200Gb to sbcl and it was still not enough), our 'configure'
refuses to build FriCAS with affected versions.  I have built
FriCAS 1.3.10 using sbcl-2.3.9, so in last few version sbcl got
more memory hungry.

> So something changed in 1.3.10.

Something changed between sbcl-2.3.9 and sbcl-2.4.0.  File added
to FriCAS 1.3.10, that is RSIMP.spad compiles fine using sbcl-2.3.9.