Hi Qian,

I've now created a new-ps-book-rhx branch in my github repo.

https://github.com/hemmecke/fricas/commits/new-ps-book-rhx

I've built that on top of your "generate book with ps image" commit from your new-ps-book branch.

Since I rewrite quite some stuff from your commit, it is probably better to squash both commits together.

Let me explain a bit the overall strategy.

In the same spirit I suggested earlier to overcome the "race-problem with pipe", the .input files that produce the .spool files and eventually the .tex files are run through FRICASsys (actually interpsys) directly. No sman involved and no graphics is produced there.

The .input files that contain \spadgraph commands are again run through fricas/sman in order to produce the .ps pictures. I have taken care of closing the viewports properly before a new viewport is opened. (Actually, I even think that is unnecessary, since they will be closed anyway by )quit at the end. But I realize that only now when I write this mail and the work to close properly is already done.)

This way, I experience not truncation of files.

The pictures in the book now seem to be a little smaller. So I increased the size in (htex2input.awk)

    print "-- \\includegraphics[height=.24\\textheight]{" $0 "}"

to .25\textheight.

The environment "xtcnooutput" is gone. I use the already existing "inputonly" environment to include commands that are executed but should not leave any trace of output in the book.

The skip-graphics.awk script is not needed anymore. The commands from \psXtc are set inside

)if GenerateGraphics
)endif

and the .htex files with \psXtc in them are run twice.
(a) as .input file through FRICASsys to produce .spool
(b) as .input file with

)assert GenerateGraphics

prepended through "fricas -noht -noclef" to produce the pictures.

This avoids the pipe racing problem.

From ug-pics.input only knot3.ps is left, so I renamed and shortened it.
I modified a little so that it looks like the previous black/white image. I think that looks a bit more fancy than the one in the Jenks&Sutor book. That's, of course, open for discussion.

Section 7.19 is now with pictures that I have not seen in the FriCAS 1.3.10 version of the book.

Any comments?

I try to adapt your patch to use pdflatex directly.

Ralf