I have been working on this issue recently.

I read the document titled:

"Guidance for Industry on
Complementary and Alternative
Medicine Products and Their
Regulation by the Food and
Drug Administration"

It didn't seem as bad as the hype suggested, but, it is really really bad.
Basically they are trying to find a way to regulate all the herbs and
therapies that are in use in the US. Our needles are already regulated. but
under this law  become a higher level medical device and the courts in each
state would need to decide who can use them. -Maybe only MDs.  An herb that
is primarily used to treat a disease or condition will be considered and
regulated as a drug. That's not good, unless an herbalist  can prescribe
them which is not likely. So basically we and other non MD health care would
be illegal.

Here is the link to the article that started the stir.
http://www.newstarget.com/021789.html

Here is the link to the FDA document.
http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/06d-0480-gld0001.pdf

The article states that the FDA will take comments until April 30, 2007.

The FDA give you two ways to comment.

Send Mail to:
The Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305)
Food and Drug Administration
5630 Fishers Lane, Rm 1061
Rockville, MD  20852

Reference Docket Number: 2006D-0480

OR
Click on the following web link.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov<http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/dockets/comments/COMMENTSMain.CFM?EC_DOCUMENT_ID=1451&SUBTYP=CONTINUE&CID=&AGENCY=FDA>
/scripts/oc/dockets/comments<http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/dockets/comments/COMMENTSMain.CFM?EC_DOCUMENT_ID=1451&SUBTYP=CONTINUE&CID=&AGENCY=FDA>
/COMMENTSMain.CFM?EC_DOCUMENT<http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/dockets/comments/COMMENTSMain.CFM?EC_DOCUMENT_ID=1451&SUBTYP=CONTINUE&CID=&AGENCY=FDA>
_ID=1451&SUBTYP=CONTINUE&CID=<http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/dockets/comments/COMMENTSMain.CFM?EC_DOCUMENT_ID=1451&SUBTYP=CONTINUE&CID=&AGENCY=FDA>
&AGENCY=FDA<http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/dockets/comments/COMMENTSMain.CFM?EC_DOCUMENT_ID=1451&SUBTYP=CONTINUE&CID=&AGENCY=FDA>

Here is a sample comment:
"I oppose the classification of herbs intended for health benefit as drugs.
This classification would relegate their use to a prescription from an MD.
MD's by their own admission don't understand the use of herbs and would
therefore be unqualified to prescribe herbs to the general public."