Northern gateway pipelineBy Compiled By Dave Cooper and Edmonton
Journal, Vancouver Sun
December 31,
2011
http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Northern+gateway+pipeline/5932443/story.html

Photograph by: Yuri Gripas, Reuters,
Vancouver Sun
1) The line would start near Bruderheim in the Alberta Industrial Heartland
region northwest of Edmonton, an area that contains Canada's largest collection
of petrochemical plants and upgraders, as well as other industries ranging from
fertilizer to industrial gas production.
2) The 1,172 kilometre Gateway is actually two lines. A 36-inch line flowing
west would transport 525,000 of condensate bitumen per day - the heavy bitumen
must be thinned by adding a light petroleum component called condensate, which
represents about 30 per cent of the volume. A parallel 20-inch line will
transport imported condensate eastward from Kitimat to Bruderheim. Condensate
is
currently imported by tanker into Kitimat and transported by rail to
Alberta.
3) Enbridge estimates that Gateway will create 62,700 person-years of
construction employment worth $4.3 billion in labour-related income throughout
the Canadian economy. The peak workforce would be 3,000 during construction.
The
pipeline will also create 1,150 direct and indirect long-term jobs and pay
about
$2.6 billion in taxes, and its operations, this does not include the many
billions of dollars that would flow to governments in taxes and royalties for
the oil produced to fill the pipeline, and the higher prices achieved by
tapping
into the Asian marketplace.
4) Enbridge plans to have two mooring berths at its new terminal in Kitimat,
with 14 storage tanks for oil and condensate. It will add navigation radar at
Kitimat and along the B.C. coast to increase safety for all shipping, as well
as
crews and equipment available for a rapid response if there are problems. There
will be 165 long-term jobs created at the terminal, to run the fleet of power
tugs that will shepherd the large tankers down the inlet to the Pacific.
Alberta and Ottawa support the Gateway.
5) Alberta Premier Alison Redford: "Asia's star is rising and it will
dominate the 21st Century. We can guarantee national prosperity for a long time
to come by supplying them with the energy that they need." Federal Natural
Resources Minister Joe Oliver: "We believe that we have to have access to Asian
markets for our energy products, for our oil and gas," he said. "That is
clearly
in our national interest. We'll survive without it, but not nearly in the same
way."
6) B.C. Premier Christy Clark has not yet come out one way or another on the
project. However, she recently said: "British Columbia's coast does not just
belong to British Columbia, it belongs to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba,
Quebec, Ontario and the Atlantic provinces and it's essential that our ports
and
our infrastructure all across the West are functioning as well as they possibly
can ... That's what allows trade to flow inside our country and that's what
puts
people to work."
7) Most First Nations reject the project: Gerald Amos, a member of the Haisla
First Nation near the pipeline's Kitimat end point and director of the
Headwaters Initiative: "As a famous prime minister once said, just watch us ...
Everyone involved, including myself, have made commitments to one another, that
we will do whatever it takes, legally and otherwise, to stop this project." As
do environmental activists: Katie Terhune, energy campaign manager at the
Living
Oceans Society: "One mistake in navigation and we could have a catastrophe in
one of the most beautiful places on earth. The only way to truly protect our
province is to not introduce oil tankers or the Northern Gateway pipeline at
all." Susan Casey-Lefkowitz, international program director for U.S.-based
NRDC:
"There really is no safe risk-free way to get oilsands oil and pipelines and
super tankers across British Columbia's ecosystem."
8) Pipeline corrosion: Environmental groups say diluted bitumen is more
likely to cause corrosion in the pipelines, and is more acidic, thicker and
more
sulphuric than conventional crude. But a recent study by Alberta Innovates
found
diluted bitumen crudes had acid, sulphur and chloride salt concentrations
comparable to many conventional crudes. These ingredients can cause corrosion
at
temperatures above 200?C at refineries, but are too stable at lower pipeline
temperatures to cause significant corrosion.
9) Aboriginal equity: Enbridge is offering a stake in the pipeline project to
eligible communities, up to 10 per cent of the $5.5 billion project Full
financing can be provided, and it estimates that share ownership will generate
$280 million in net income to the communities over the first 30 years of the
project. The company says perhaps two dozen communities are interested in the
offer. Activists say 130 communities are opposed to Gateway.
10) The hearings: The Joint Review Panel conducting the review of the
controversial Enbridge Inc. project on behalf of the National Energy Board and
the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency starts public hearings in Kitamaat
Village on Jan. 10. Final arguments are scheduled for April 2013, and an
environmental assessment report should be ready in the fall of 2013. More than
4,000 people are expected to address the panel.
11) Global demand: The International Energy Agency forecasts the demand for
fossil fuels will rise by 36 per cent by 2035, with 36 per cent of the increase
coming from China alone. Alberta oilsands and Venezulean heavy oil will
dominate
the production mix in the future, it adds. Oil from Kitimat must travel about
8,300 km to the Far East target markets of South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and
China.
By comparison, Persian Gulf oil must travel about 10,000 km, while Venezulean
crude must take a 16,000 km journey.
GRAPHIC: RICK COLVILLE, EDMONTON JOURNAL AND MAGGIE WONG, VANCOUVER SUN
Seen by industry and government as a critical link between the Alberta
oilsands and growing markets in Asia, the $5.5 billion Enbridge Northern
Gateway
pipeline project is opposed by most B.C. First Nations who fear spills will
destroy their way of life, and a coalition of environmental activist groups
battling further expansion of the "tar sands". Regulatory hearings into project
begin this month in Kitimat, with a final decision not expected for another two
years.

Photograph by: Todd Korol, Reuters, Vancouver
Sun

Questions
about the titleandrightsalliance list?  Contact d...@ubcic.bc.ca
TRA