Leaders
named for BC Jobs and Investment Board and Aboriginal Business and Investment
Council
8:00
AM 12/16/2011
VICTORIA
- Premier Christy Clark announced today the two highly qualified British
Columbians who will chair the BC Jobs and Investment Board and the Aboriginal
Business and Investment Council, created under ‘Canada Starts Here: The BC Jobs
Plan’.
“These
talented British Columbians will help us determine what government can do
better
so we can create good jobs for families and develop new opportunities for
Aboriginal peoples,” said Premier Clark. “Ray Castelli’s extensive experience
in
international business development in a variety of industries and his key roles
in government makes him ideal to head the BC Jobs and Investment Board. Ellis
Ross’s pragmatic approach to economic development, co-operation and
collaboration make him an incredible asset to the Aboriginal Business and
Investment Council.”

Castelli
is CEO of Weatherhaven, one of the world’s leading suppliers of redeployable
camps and shelter systems. He has also held senior positions at Alcan Aluminum,
Naikun Wind Development, and Quadrem, a global procurement services company
formed by 19 of the world’s largest mining and metals companies.

Ross
is chief councillor of the Haisla Nation and a former Department of Fisheries
and Oceans employee who has also run a log-salvage business and worked in the
charter-boat industry. The chair of the Aboriginal Business and Investment
Council has a standing position on the BC Jobs and Investment Board, so he will
serve on both bodies, providing a direct link between them.

The
BC Jobs and Investment Board will provide advice and direction to government on
policies and programs to help attract sustainable investment, foster economic
development and support job creation. It will focus on the eight key sectors in
the BC Jobs Plan - forestry, mining, natural gas, agri-foods, technology,
tourism, transportation (ports, marine and aerospace) and international
education.

“The
global market for investment capital is fiercely competitive, and B.C. has to
be
more creative than ever, as well as leverage our natural advantages, to attract
that investment,” said Castelli. “The role of the Jobs and Investment Board is
to help government ensure no stones are left unturned in the search for
long-term investment and sustainable jobs for our communities.”

The
Aboriginal Business and Investment Council will work with Aboriginal
communities
and the private sector to make recommendations to government on strategies to
improve Aboriginal peoples’ participation in the economy, identify successful
investment models between Aboriginals and the private sector, foster economic
development in Aboriginal communities, and increase overall investment in the
province.

“The
Crown, the investor and Aboriginal peoples have the opportunity to enable
Aboriginal communities to help themselves - but it has to be based on
understanding the nature of the respective parties,” said Ross. “Aboriginal
peoples have to learn about what it takes to succeed in the business world.
Business has to learn how to engage with them, and the Crown has to know what
it
can bring to the table and how to ensure it flows smoothly. If we can make
headway on these hurdles, we will see projects getting built and Aboriginal
peoples being involved in the economy surrounding them.”

The
board and the council will report to government twice a year.

“Both
the Jobs and Investment Board and the Aboriginal Business and Investment
Council
will support our BC Jobs Plan goal of being either first or second in Canada
for
job creation and GDP growth by 2015,” said Jobs, Tourism and Innovation
Minister
Pat Bell. “The Jobs and Investment Board also fulfils our commitment to create
board of experienced and respected business people to measure how major
projects
are moving through the regulatory and environmental processes.”

The
chairs are working with government’s Board Resourcing and Development Office to
finalize appointments of other members. The positions have been posted online,
and members are chosen through a merit-based process.

Learn
More:
Canada
Starts Here: The BC Jobs Plan:  www.bcjobsplan.ca

Two backgrounders
follow.

BACKGROUNDER 1:
BC Jobs and Investment
Board

        * The  BC Jobs and Investment Board was created under ‘Canada Starts
Here: The BC  Jobs Plan’ to help government attract sustainable investment,
foster economic  development and support job creation.
        * Members  will be representative of the economic and cultural
diversity in British  Columbia, and of the key sectors targeted in ‘Canada
Starts Here: The BC Jobs  Plan’.
        * The  board will advise government on investment opportunities around
the province,  work with industry to identify issues and processes that may be
limiting that  investment, and make recommendations to address them.
        * The  board will also:
        * Host  potential key investors to B.C. and encourage investment.
>>      * Identify  opportunities for economic development in B.C. and for
>> improving B.C.’s  relative competitiveness.
>>      * Provide  expert advice on global issues and trends.
>>      * Offer  advice on how to promote B.C. as a global destination of
>> choice for  international industries to locate their headquarters, including
>>  leveraging B.C.’s geographic advantage to recruit Asia-Pacific  businesses.
        * The  Jobs and Investment Board will continue some of the work done
previously by  the BC Progress Board, which it replaces, to monitor key
economic  indicators.Ray Castelli, chair

Ray Castelli is CEO of
Weatherhaven, one of the world’s leading suppliers of redeployable camps and
shelter systems, specializing in remote areas and difficult climatic
conditions.
Founded in Vancouver more than 30 years ago, Weatherhaven has grown to become a
key supplier to the global natural resources industry, the military and
disaster
relief.

With operations on five continents, Weatherhaven has supplied
more than 20 military customers around the world, including Canada’s Department
of National Defence, the U.S., the U.K., NATO, Australia, Brazil, South Africa
and Japan. It has also supplied global natural resource exploration companies
including Rio Tinto, BHP, Vale, Petrobras and Alcoa. The company has been a key
supplier to the UN and other disaster relief agencies for more than 20
years.

Before joining Weatherhaven, Castelli was CEO of Naikun Wind
Development Ltd. in Vancouver; executive vice-president of Quadrem, a global
procurement services company based in Texas, formed by 19 of the world’s
largest
mining and metals companies; director of corporate development (mergers and
acquisitions) for Alcan Aluminium (Montreal and New York); and director of
corporate affairs for Alcan Aluminium in Vancouver.

Before moving to the
private sector, Castelli was deputy chief of staff to the Prime Minister, chief
of staff to the Minister of National Defence and chief of staff to the Minister
of Indian Affairs and Northern Development.

He is also a member of the
boards of directors of Avcorp Aviation, Global Cobalt, the Prince Rupert Port
Authority and the Working Opportunity Fund.

Born and raised in Prince
Rupert, Castelli earned his bachelor of business administration from Simon
Fraser University, and completed the International Executive Program at
l’Institut Européen d'Administration des Affaires in France, more commonly
known
as INSEAD.

BACKGROUNDER 2: Aboriginal Business and Investment
Council

        * The  Aboriginal Business and Investment Council, created under Canada
Starts Here:  The BC Jobs Plan, will work with Aboriginal communities and the
private sector  to make recommendations on strategies to improve Aboriginals’
participation in  the economy and promote economic growth in Aboriginal
communities.
        * The  council will identify successful investment models between
Aboriginal  communities and investors and identify ways that they can be
replicated in  B.C.
        * It  will provide expert advice on Aboriginal economic development
policy.
        * The  council will also develop relationships between Aboriginal
communities,  industry and government to implement practical measures for
economic  development.
        * The  Aboriginal Business and Investment Council board will be made up
of eight  representatives, including the chair, from business and Aboriginal
communities.
        * The  chair has been appointed for a two-year term. As chair of the
Aboriginal  Business and Investment Council, he will also serve on the BC Jobs
and  Investment Board.
        * Members  will be selected for their understanding of business,
Aboriginal cultures,  relationship building and successful business models.
        * Council  members will serve for one year with a possible extension to
two years at the  invitation of the Premier or the Minister of Jobs, Tourism
and
Innovation.Ellis B. Ross, chair

Ellis B. Ross was
recently elected chief councillor of the Haisla Nation, having been a full-time
councillor since 2003. In the past eight years, he has held a variety of
portfolios, but has always maintained his connection to economic development
and
Aboriginal rights and title issues.

Ross played a vital role in ensuring
that the impact benefits agreement, the interim First Nations Commercial and
Industrial Development Act agreement, and the lease for the $3-billion Kitimat
Natural Gas Liquefaction and Export Terminal project were successfully
completed.

Before becoming the first full-time councillor of the Haisla
Nation, Ross worked in the public sector for the Department of Fisheries and
Oceans. He also ran his own log-salvage business with his brothers and was a
skipper and pilot for Aurora Charters.

Media
contacts:

Chris Olsen
Press Secretary
Office of
the Premier
604 220-1640

Carolyn Heiman
Communications
Manager
Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Innovation
250 888-3545

Questions
about the titleandrightsalliance list?  Contact d...@ubcic.bc.ca
TRA