--- On Mon, 3/19/12, RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com> wrote:

From: RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com>
Subject: First Nations' leader wants more resource revenue
To: undisclosed-recipi...@yahoo.com

Sun Mar
18, 06:10 PM
First Nations' leader wants more resource
revenueCTVNews.ca Staff

Assembly of First Nations
national chief candidate Perry Bellegarde, Chief of the Little Black Bear First
Nation of Saskatchewan, carries a feather as he leaves the hall with his wife
Valerie Galley after the fourth ballot results were announced at the AFN's
annual general assembly in Calgary, Thursday, July 23, 2009.(Jeff McIntosh/THE
CANADIAN PRESS)

A Saskatchewan First Nations leader says
Canada's indigenous people haven't received their fair share of the country's
lucrative natural resource revenues and hopes that will change in the wake of a
critical UN report.
Little Black Bear First Nation Chief Perry
Bellegarde made the comments after a United Nations committee last week
criticized Canada's treatment of its First Nations.
"Right now, Saskatchewan and industry enjoy the
benefits from all the natural resource wealth and nothing is coming back to the
indigenous people," Bellegarde told CTVNews.ca.
That wasn't the intention of First Nations when
they signed dozens of land treaties with the Crown more than 100 years ago,
Bellegarde said.
"We said we'd share this territory with our
non-indigenous brothers and sisters under treaty. We didn't give up
everything,"
he said. "So we still have to deal with this issue of resource revenue sharing
because it's unfinished treaty business."
The United Nations Committee on the Elimination
of Racial Discrimination last week had harsh words for Canada's record with
First Nations, saying it has failed to properly respect land and treaty rights
of indigenous people.
It accused Canada of adopting "rigidly
adversarial positions" in land negotiations, and it said decisions over
resource
development are often made without properly consulting affected First
Nations.
The committee made a number of recommendations,
including: to create a treaty commission, examine high incarceration rates of
indigenous people, and ensure adequate child welfare services on
reserves.
The United Nations rates Canada's quality of
life as sixth-highest in the world. But when the same indicators are applied to
Canada's native population, it comes in at 63rd.
Bellegarde said the UN recommendations -- if
implemented -- would help close the gap in living standards between First
Nations groups and non-aboriginal Canadians.
Most pressing, he said, is the need for a
national treaty commissioner.
That position would ensure that aboriginal
people reap some economic benefits from natural resources. In Saskatchewan, the
potash and uranium industries have earned billions for industry and government
coffers.
"The issue is poverty," Bellegarde said.
"There's a huge socio-economic gap. And we have to have access to the resource
wealth as well, so that we can have proper schools on our reserves . . . proper
housing, proper access to library resources, proper access to recreation
facilities.
"That's what it's about because there is a huge
cost to poverty."
In January, a First Nation in southeastern
Saskatchewan filed a multibillion-dollar lawsuit claiming the band was denied
billions from oil and potash developments.
The claim by the George Gordon First Nation was
against the provincial and federal governments. The band said it should have
been consulted about several projects under a treaty land deal signed in August
2008.
In February, Bellegarde was part of a contingent
of First Nations leaders who addressed the UN committee on racial
discrimination.
Canada is a signatory to an international treaty
working toward the elimination of racial discrimination. The UN committee is
the
independent expert body that oversees compliance with that treaty.
Canada was asked to report back in a year on the
progress it's made on implementing the committee's recommendations.
With files from The Canadian
Press