--- On Thu, 3/22/12, RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com> wrote:

From: RDIABO <rdi...@rogers.com>
Subject: Fw: [TRA] Lil'wat Nation gains three conservancies in signing with BC
Parks
To: undisclosed-recipi...@yahoo.com

FYI

From: Nicole Schabus
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:57 PM
To: Don

Cc: TRA Listerve ; NatNews North
Subject: Re: [TRA] Lil'wat Nation gains three conservancies in
signing with BC Parks

Sent from my iPhone

On 2012-03-22, at 6:51 AM, "Don" <db...@shaw.ca> wrote:

  Lil'wat Nation gains three conservancies in
  signing with BC Parks
  Newly protected watersheds have cultural
  and wildlife significanceby Cathryn
  Atkinson

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/lilwat-nation-gains-three-conservancies-in-signing-with-bc-parks/Content?oid=2291750

  click to enlarge

#yiv1451262111 div.yiv1451262111jp-audio,
#yiv1451262111 div.yiv1451262111jp-video {
font-size:1.25em;}

#yiv1451262111 div#yiv1451262111storybody div.yiv1451262111inlineaudio {
width:400px;margin:auto;}

  The Lil'wat Nation and BC Parks have signed three conservancy
  management plans to protect over 10,000 hectares (100 square km.) of Lil'wat
  traditional territories in perpetuity.
  The three, the Qwalímak/Upper Birkenhead Conservancy, K'zuzált/Twin Two
  Conservancy, and Mkwal'ts Conservancy encompass the watersheds of the Upper
  Birkenhead River, Twin Two Creek, and Ure Creek respectively, all of which
  flow into Lillooet Lake near Pemberton. Negotiations began with the B.C.
  government in 2006.
  The signing took place in Mt. Currie on Thursday evening, March 15, and was
  a public celebration with around 70 in attendance, said Chief Lucinda
  Phillips.
  "It was excellent. We signed the agreement and had some drumming, it was
  great — lots of good feelings," she said.
  "We started the Lil'wat Land Use Plan in 2006, when we signed and completed
  it. That is the starting point... we did so much community consultation and
  we'd ask the members where do you hunt, do you pick, do you (gather) cedar
  bark? Those three areas were significant to the people in wanting to protect
  and preserve and continue to practice our cultural way."
  In a practical sense, the management plan allows the Lil'wat to say how the
  conservancies will be maintained and used.
  "We will be able to divide some of the watersheds into areas of real
  cultural significance, spiritual significance and put in there that it's not
  tourist destination, not a 'go zone'," Phillips said. "We will be able to
  create the new designations within the provincial system. Just to show its
  significance, with watersheds going from the highest protection to medium to
  open to the public. The watersheds are all different but they all represent
  our interests."
  The conservancy is unrelated to any treaty negotiations with the government
  and no treaties are currently being discussed or planned, Phillips said.
  "The treaty question went to my people back in the mid-'80s and it was
  pretty unanimous that they did not want to entertain a treaty at all," she
  said.
  Of the three new conservancies, the most important in this sense is the Ure
  Creek area, Mkwal'ts Conservancy, about 40 kilometres from Pemberton. It was
  the site of standoffs between the Lil'wat and loggers wanting to clear-cut
the
  area in 1991 said Phillips. Sixty-three were arrested at the time. An
  Independent Power Project proposed for the area was stopped through protests
  within the last five years.
  The history of the area runs deep, with evidence of cedar bark stripping
  from the 19th century, remains of isktens (traditional homes), pictographs
  (rock paintings) and is a spiritual place where scwenaxem (medicine people)
  train. Also of huge importance, said Phillips, were the burial grounds of
  ancestors, particularly of those killed by a smallpox epidemic in the early
  20th century, which devastated the Lil'wat.
  Of the remaining two, the Qwalímak/Upper Birkenhead Conservancy is a
  designated wilderness conservation zone to protect the health of an important
  salmon river and habitat for mountain goat and grizzly bear. The conservancy
  management plan provides for non-motorized backcountry recreation in a remote
  wilderness environment.
  The K'zuzalt/Twin Two Conservancy protects an undisturbed watershed with
  never-logged old-growth forest that protects habitat for grizzly bear,
  mountain goats and the endangered northern spotted owl. Situated in the
  vicinity of the historic Gold Rush Trail, low-impact recreational activities,
  including hiking and backpacking, will be allowed.
  Harriet VanWart, Consultation manager of Land and Resources for the Lil'wat
  Nation, said staff had been working on the conservancy plans with BC Parks
for
  three years. She said there were a possible five other conservancy areas of
  interest for the Lil'wat but pursuing them was "funding dependent" and not
  currently underway.
  "We selected the first three conservancies as a priority to have management
  plans for. The Ure Creek region has a lot of emotion attached to that
place...
  it's a really special place that people have fought to protect... it stands
  apart from the others," she said.
  VanWart said the next step is to encourage the Lil'wat community to regard
  the conservancies as places to use.
  "There's been a bit of a history of aboriginal people being not allowed to
  access parks and not allowed to hunt in parks," she said. "Before aboriginal
  rights were recognized it wasn't something that happened. The reason they're
  called conservancies and not just parks is that there is a real emphasis on
  their being places for recognizing aboriginal rights."
  Brandin Schultz of BC Parks was one of two provincial representatives at
  the signing, which he said mirrored similar signings with the Squamish Nation
  in February and with the Haida Nation in 2011, when 11 conservancies were
  signed on Haida Gwaii.

Questions
  about the titleandrightsalliance list?  Contact d...@ubcic.bc.ca
TRA Archives